You have probably heard that your diet should be healthy and give you enough energy for the day.
The average diet at least in the US is very calorie dense. What this means? Most diets are very high in calories but sadly low in nutrients. This is because people consume a lot of processed foods that are high in sugars and fats and very little fresh products like vegetables and fruits.
Nutrient-dense foods on the other side are rich in vitamins, minerals and other nutrients important for health, without too much saturated fat, added sugars and sodium. We’re talking fruits and vegetables, whole grains, fish, lean meat, skinless poultry, peas and beans, and nuts and seeds.
Understanding the difference between nutrient dense and calorie dense foods is important if you want to be in better health and lose weight.
Here is an example on how you can start:
- Switch from white rice to brown rice.
- Instead of French fries get sweet potato fries.
- Replace sugary drinks with water, unsweetened tea, or coffee.
- Instead of a big dollop of sour cream on your chili or baked potato, try plain nonfat Greek yogurt.
- Switch from processed deli meat to sliced roasted chicken for a hearty sandwich.
- Avoid buying food at junk food restaurants and better order a cooked meal at your local deli or healthy food delivery service.
- Snack on crunchy vegetables or nuts instead of chips.
- Satisfy a sweet tooth with naturally sweet fruit or smoothie instead of candy and cookies.
Develop a habit of looking at food labels when you grocery shop. Foods that are high in saturated fats, carbs or/and sugars are usually very low in vitamins, minerals and healthy fats.
I know you’re busy and long hours at the office can be hard. Studies show that people working at an office environment, tend to drink most of the calories. Sodas and other carbonated drinks are one of the worst choices when it comes to calories.
Very high in sugar (even the no sugar ones) colorants and conservatives contribute a lot to weight gain. Be mindful of what liquids you consume during the day and try to stick to natural options, like water, juices, naturally made detox water, tea and coffee.
Start with small changes and you will start feeling different more energetic, alert with better mood and your clothes with start fitting better.